Tuesday, June 20, 2006

A little Sci~Fi Skyland...

Posted by Arna.

A few panels from the Sci-Fi series Skyland, a motion capture show that I storyboarded on in the fall of 2005:




And here's a bit of homemade leica reel that I assembled in Flash, from the opening sequence of the same episode. SKYLAND is a sci-fi series and a France-Canada coproduction. The designs were done in France and have an elegant quality you don't always see in television animation. This sequence was much revised after my turn on it (as can happen), but I have no complaint about the way it turned out. It ended up even more dramatic! Although my version is unpolished, I had some fun importing it into Flash and doing this quick edit. John and I set it to a piece of music by Sweet. Heavy rock seems to suit the action. I didn't have access to the dialogue tracks so I used subtitles, which gives the clip a comic book feel, and that's all right with me.

The episode starts with a flying chase and a firefight as two children in a stolen airship try to evade the bad guys. The kids' parents were the leaders of a rebellion against 'The Sphere', which is an evil (of course) organization that runs things after the world is blown up.

Please click here to see this excerpt of Flash leica posted on our website.

Updated with a new link, July 3_06. If you want to know more about Skyland you can:

click here to go to the Skyland TV Website. Looks like some interesting stuff on this site.

click here to go to the Nicktoons Skyland page.

8 comments:

Clive said...

Whew! That was a great sequence. Lets do it again. Tally Ho!

Unknown said...

Cool to see your production board!!

Unknown said...

Coool is an understatement, it's AWESOME!! All the action and speed!! WOOOOHOOO!

Emma said...

That's freaking great! I want to see what happens next...

(I like how their ship comm system is a radio tuner)

the doodlers said...

Clive, Alina, Emma, Thanks for the great feedback. It was a fun one to do for sure. Love those roller coaster ride sequences.

Emma: Yeah, that radio is radical~ no? I didn't have detail for the interior cockpit designs so I just made that radio up. Low tech... hey, the world was destroyed so, maybe they rely on outdated technology..??

Anonymous said...

This is such a good blog !
I am a very big fan of Skyland and I have created the site http://www.puertoangel.fr.nf, it's in french sadly !
Congratulations again for your site !

the doodlers said...

Thanks for the very nice feedback, Sam. Your fansite looks great! Looks like you did lot of work on it. Cheers, ~Arna

Anonymous said...

hello ! :) www.skyland.free.fr
thks for the post great blog !